As you take a look at our progressing world today, some people are investing their money more in cameras than laptops or devices for gaming. Photography and filmmaking have been very trendy to people, especially to millennials, which is a great influence.
That is why the volume of consumers is growing.
Whether it’s an average kind of camera or a high-end one, people have their own ways to maximize the use of these devices for pleasure or for work.
Technology is surely doing great when it comes to innovation in cameras. People way back started with film cameras then they shifted to digital cameras.
But now, people can use cameras that are smaller than the size of the usual compact cameras.
Moreover, now that action cameras entered the picture, people can’t get enough of doing photography and video-making seriously.
Action cameras are one of the most trending cameras nowadays. People prefer to use it more because it’s handy and lightweight, and it’s very versatile.
You can take a photo or a video with ease, especially if you’re doing an actual activity. It’s admired by many because it uses a lot of accessories, and one is a drone.
Drones also come with a built-in camera, which depends on the brand you’re supporting. If you’re quite unfamiliar with drones, here’s a quick overview of why it’s convenient.
Knowing What a Drone Is and What Makes It Convenient
Referred to as unmanned aerial vehicles or UAVs, drones are devices used mainly for monitoring wide-range overview of a place that’s beyond our reach. It’s an aircraft tool that doesn’t need any passengers or pilots onboard because it uses a remote control, or it works autonomously.
Whether your drone has a built-in camera or you have to attach a small camera to it, this device works for various commercial and government purposes. Since it makes wide-range monitoring effective and easier, drones are very convenient for the following purposes:
- Used to Get Excellent Views for Photos and Videos – Let’s admit it, we all want to have an aerial shot of significant events of our lives. Drones are commonly used on different events for coverage while some just use it for pleasure, to get excellent photos or videos. I personally use drones to get a great view of new places I visit.
- Used for Tornado and Hurricane Forecasting – Aside from being used for photography and video-making, drones are very convenient in monitoring natural disasters such as tornados and hurricanes. A drone was developed for forecasting by a defense contractor, Raytheon Missile Systems.
- Used for Wildlife Maintenance – Drones are also used for monitoring animals, specifically humpback whales in Massachusetts. The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution uses this device to check on the health of these animals for further studies.
- Used by Forces as First Responders – Drones are very useful to police and military forces. Drones act as first responders to get a glimpse of what’s currently happening in an area without risking any lives. As the area is being monitored as well, forces can plot better strategies before doing further actions.
- Used for Agriculture – Drones are also used for agriculture purposes. These devices are used to monitor the health of a farm’s fields. This is to do necessary preventions to keep the fields healthy for great harvests.
I admire how drones give convenience to my day-to-day tasks. As it’s great for monitoring, I use it often to check on my neighborhood for safety and protection.
I also use it on my travels to get a greater view of the place. But since it’s moving, one of my concerns is on how I can capture a great photo without blurs or record a video without the camera shaking.
A stabilizer should prevent unwanted movements for a better result. It’s important to have a stabilizer, especially when it comes to drones.
Understanding How Useful a Gimbal Is to Your Drones
Related Topic: Troubleshooting Drones: What Causes Drone Fly-aways
Camera stabilizers are needed if you’re using your drone for photography or video-making. You wouldn’t want a blurry photo or a shaken video, right? This is why you have to make sure that your drone is installed with a stabilizer, also known as a gimbal.
Surely, a gimbal is an unfamiliar word to most people, but it works the same as stabilizers. It is often used in keeping equipment or instruments upright despite any motion, allowing it to spin around the axis, which is what camera stabilizers do. Now, what is a gimbal on a drone?
A gimbal on a drone acts a support system that lets the camera stay horizontal, no matter what movement you do. As you use your drone, you can’t just expect to record a good video or capture a good photo while it moves around as you control it. This is why it’s crucial to have it installed in your drone, to get clearer recordings.
It sure sounds great because it makes my photos and videos great. I move it a lot thanks to the gimbal I installed. I may not be a photographer by profession, but it helps a lot in recording great videos and capturing great photos.
Some Tips in Choosing the Right Gimbal for Your Drone
Drones are somehow useless if your recordings are undesirable. What’s the use if you can’t completely see a clear view of what you’re recording? You should definitely get a gimbal.
Now, if you’ve finally decided to invest on gimbals for your drone, here are some tips that you may find handy as you choose the right gimbal for your drone:
- Number of Axes – Before, I was undecided in choosing between 2-axis or 3-axis gimbals, so I tried both. You should invest straightly on a 3-axis gimbal for greater results. A 2-axis gimbal is not that bad at all, but you’d still get minimal bumps on your images and videos.
- Camera Support – You have to make sure that the gimbal you’re about to buy can support the type of camera you have. These stabilizers are designed based on different camera types. It’s best to bring your camera with you for fitting.
- Pre-Calibration – If you’re about to install a gimbal on your drone, you have to make sure that you know how to pre-calibrate. It’s not easy for beginners but calibrating is not that difficult as well. Although, you don’t have to worry because most gimbals are already pre-calibrated, so all you need to do is to plug it in.
- Remote Control – Since gimbals are purposely built for your drone, it’s integrated into the controller. You can control it remotely for better results.
Drones and their attached high-end cameras are useless if you can’t set a stabilized view.
You must take note that it’s crucial to have a gimbal installed in your device so that you will not have any second thoughts in considering whether you made a right decision in investing on drones or not at all.
I was hesitant to invest in gimbals before, believing that my controlling skills can prevent my recordings from bumps or blurs.
When I tried my drone for the first time without gimbals, I didn’t like the results that I almost had a headache watching it.
Now, I strongly agree that gimbals are very useful for drone users.
As you invest further in your drone, it’s best to invest in something worth the price.
Don’t get me wrong; gimbals are definitely worth the investment. You don’t have to settle on poor coverage just because of bumps, blurs or shaken recordings. With gimbals, you can definitely cover great recordings and capture exceptional views without any distractions.
Related Topic: 10 Facts on How Much Weight a Small Drone Can Carry